Well, as we know, the weather has been a little bit all over the place, but many of us are getting some of those outdoor projects done before the more permanent summer heat bears down on us.
And we wonder: What are the most important things that can boost curb appeal and higher perceived home value? Well, I’m going to give you some simple pointers that won’t break the bank.
1. Your Mailbox. Yup. If your mailbox looks old and icky, that’s one of the first things that makes an impression. Solution: A can of Rustoleum Spray Paint for around 5 bucks can give that sucker an instant face lift. I picked Rustoleum in Red for mine because it is easy for my visitors and clients to find me when they are looking to where to turn into my driveway (I'm on a busy road!) And, while you are at it, you can easily paint the post white and put some simple day lilies that can hold up to the heat right there around the mail box.
2. Freshen up your mulch. Old mulch can look sparse and tired. Somthing else - Some of the trends are even going to more rocks instead of mulch with lovely plants in the midst of them, and I’m okay with that. Either way, be sure to weed. Best time to weed? After a good rain. Something called Weed and Feed can help grow what you want, and eliminate what you don’t want. Simple, right?
3. Fresh Paint on your front door. Gloss black (SW Tricorn Black), a classic blue, or a great red can add higher perceived value to your home. Freshly painted shutters can add value, also.
4. Simple plants and flowers to freshen up. Add a happy garden flag, and a potted bright,cheery plant on your front steps, and it just screams “WELCOME!” I just bought these begonias (below) from Home Depot and it makes me happy :)
5. Trim Your Bushes. I walk my neighborhood a lot - and often, I see homes where it looks like either a security issue where you can't even see out the windows as to who is coming to your door, or it just plain looks uncared for. Trimming bushes back can really give your home a face lift.
Well, that's about it. Keeping it short and simple, because I'm off to another project! By the way, let me know if you need help with a summer refresh in your home! I even do working consultations where we can come up with a simple plan on the spot to get your home freshened up!
Being the creative and energetic person that she is, Patricia loves her family, her clients, and finding new and creative ways to "think outside the box." You may find her spending time with family, scouring antique stores, figure skating, talking to Alhzheimer's residents, camping, and being active in her church and community.
In the Media